News coverage and news mentions of research results in mainstream and specialized media (incomplete list).
Privacy and Non-Discrimination (2015-)
- La salud, el ‘big data’ más codiciado (in Spanish). La Vanguardia, February 2017.
- No vull que un algoritme decideixi quan m'han d'operar (in Catalan). Nació Digital, January 2017
- Big Data, conviviendo con el algoritmo (documentary in Spanish), RTVE, January 2017.
- El avance en anonimización allana el camino al 'big data' sanitario (in Spanish), Diario Medico, October 2016. [local copy]
- Efecto de las tecnologías de información y comunicación en la sociedad (TV program, in Spanish), Canal Taronja de Manresa, October 2016.
- Certes decisions sobre nosaltres són preses per un algoritme (in Catalan), Via Empresa, October 2016.
Social Media for Crises and Emergencies (2013-)
- AI helps answer thousands of health queries in Zambia via SMS, New Scientist, April 2016.
- How to get Twitter riled up about global warming, Washington Post, April 2015.
- Il ruolo di Twitter durante le emergenze e i disastri, TG24 , February 2015.
- Terremoti, uragani e altre calamità: così su Twitter, La Stampa, March 2015.
- Crisis Tweets Study Identifies What to Expect During Emergencies, Emergency Management, February 2015.
- 10 Stories That Will Drive The Global Agenda in 2015, UN Dispatch, January 2015.
- Typhoon Hagupit: UN using crowdsourcing platform to help assess damage, The Guardian, December 2014.
- Micro-mapping Philippine’s typhoon disaster, IRIN News, November 2013.
UAVs for good (2014-)
- 'Where's Waldo' … but for Science, CNN, September 2014.
Social Media and Credibility (2011-)
Credibility Plug-In (2014)
- Can an Algorithm Solve Twitter’s Credibility Problem?, The New Yorker, May 2014.
- Lies are everywhere on the Internet. But this free tool could potentially fight them, The Washington Post, May 2014.
- This handy Chrome plugin tells you which tweets you can trust, Daily Dot, 2014.
Crowdsourced Verification (2013-2015)
- Online Fact-Checking Tool Gets a Big Test with Nepal Earthquake, MIT Technology Review, April 2015.
- Nowhere to hide: The next manhunt will be crowdsourced, New Scientist, April 2013.
- Preventing Misinformation from Spreading through Social Media, MIT Technology Review, April 2013.
Twitter Credibility (2011-2015)
- What makes a tweet believable?, BBC, July 2015.
- Building a Better Truth Machine., Slate Magazine, December 2012.
- False Tweets Busted By Algorithm That Sniffs Out The Truth On Twitter., Huffington Post, December 2012.
- Twitter algorithm can analyze the truthfulness of tweets., The Verge, December 2012.
- How Scientists Can Tell if Your Tweets are Truthful., Gizmodo, December 2012.
- Tool Tells True Tweets from Fakes., Scientific American (Podcast), December 2012.
- Accurate and credible news tweets? Automated system finds them., Ars Technica, March 2011.
- Decoding Our Chatter., The Wall Street Journal, October 2011.
QNB Customer Data Leak (2016)
- Check to see if you were affected by the QNB hack on this website. Doha News, April 2016.
- Qatar National Bank: How to check if you are in the leaked financial files. International Business Times, April 2016.
Predictive Web Analytics (2013)
- Qatar-based team develops software that predicts the popularity of news stories, Doha News, August 2013.
Demographics of Search (2009-2010)
- Recommended economic research list, The Economist, July 2010.
- Innovation: Shrewd search engines know what you want, New Scientist, 2009.